- 1 can (370 ml) artichoke hearts, drained (but save the liquid)
- 450 grams potatoes, peeled and boiled, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup soy milk or soy cream
- lemon juice
- 1 tbs. cornstarch
- cayenne pepper
- soy cheese (optional)
- Peel and cook (boil) the potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 220 (C)
- Remove from the water cut the potatoes and place in an oiled or greased baking dish.
- Open the can of artichoke hearts and pour the liquid into a bowl.
- Cut the artichokes into bite sized pieces and place in the baking dish with the potatoes.
- To make the sauce for the gratin, I used a 1/2 cup of soy cream the liquid from the artichokes, the seasonings and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
- Place all of these ingredients in a sauce pan and cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- When the sauce is thick, pour it over the potatoes and artichokes.
- If you wish you can grate a bit of soy cheese on the top, although we did not find it necessary, it tastes lovely as it is.
- Place the gratin in an 220(C) oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
A very fancy alternative, would be to puree a 2nd can of artichoke hearts and make the sauce from that. You could also add 2-3 tablespoons of ground almonds to thicken the sauce.
We served the gratin together with some delicious Tofu Nut