Gingered Rhubarb Apple Crisp In Pastry Cups
Serving Size: 4
For the fruit
- 2 c. rhubarb, diced
- 3 large apples, peeled, cored and cut in bite sized pieces
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
For the crisp
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 4 tbs. vegan margarine, cold, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 c. oatmeal
For the pastry cups (these are optional the crisp is lovely served in bowls also)
- 6 frozen (vegan) pastry sheets (12 cm X 12 cm) to make 4 pastry cups.
For the pastry cups:
- Preheat the oven to 175 (C).
- Thaw the frozen pastry sheets.
- When they are thawed and workable, cut 2 in half.
- I found that it takes 1 and a half sheets per pastry tin to make the cups.
- So, reform the 1&1/2 sheets into a ball and roll if out (dust your workspace with flour).
- Place the pastry in a greased and floured tin.
- Put a layer of baking paper over the pastry and fill part way with beans or rice.
- To “blind bake” the pastry.
- Do this for each of the pastry cups.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
For the fruit and “crisp”
- Place rhubarb, apples, 1/2 cup sugar, crystallized ginger, and 2 tablespoons flour in a large bowl and toss well.
- Combine “crisp” ingredients in a bowl and mix with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Spread some of the crisp mixture on the bottom of a greased baking dish.
- Place the apple rhubarb mixture on top of the crisp mixture.
- And spread the rest of the crisp mixture on top of the apple rhubarb mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 15-30 minutes, until fruit is tender and topping is browned.
You can serve the apple rhubarb crisp warm with a dollop of Soyatoo on top, or place in the pre-baked pastry cups to serve.
Dust with powdered sugar and or cinnamon.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.