Gingered Rhubarb Apple Crisp In Pastry Cups
Serving Size: 4
For the fruit
- 2 c. rhubarb, diced
- 3 large apples, peeled, cored and cut in bite sized pieces
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
For the crisp
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 4 tbs. vegan margarine, cold, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 c. oatmeal
For the pastry cups (these are optional the crisp is lovely served in bowls also)
- 6 frozen (vegan) pastry sheets (12 cm X 12 cm) to make 4 pastry cups.
For the pastry cups:
- Preheat the oven to 175 (C).
- Thaw the frozen pastry sheets.
- When they are thawed and workable, cut 2 in half.
- I found that it takes 1 and a half sheets per pastry tin to make the cups.
- So, reform the 1&1/2 sheets into a ball and roll if out (dust your workspace with flour).
- Place the pastry in a greased and floured tin.
- Put a layer of baking paper over the pastry and fill part way with beans or rice.
- To “blind bake” the pastry.
- Do this for each of the pastry cups.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
For the fruit and “crisp”
- Place rhubarb, apples, 1/2 cup sugar, crystallized ginger, and 2 tablespoons flour in a large bowl and toss well.
- Combine “crisp” ingredients in a bowl and mix with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Spread some of the crisp mixture on the bottom of a greased baking dish.
- Place the apple rhubarb mixture on top of the crisp mixture.
- And spread the rest of the crisp mixture on top of the apple rhubarb mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 15-30 minutes, until fruit is tender and topping is browned.
You can serve the apple rhubarb crisp warm with a dollop of Soyatoo on top, or place in the pre-baked pastry cups to serve.
Dust with powdered sugar and or cinnamon.