Orange Carrot Hash
A sunny, tasty side dish that helps to brighten a rainy day.
Serving Size: 4
- 3 oranges, washed well from the outside
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 2 tbs. oil
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 4 tbs. salt
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 3 scallions
- Wash the oranges well and grate the outside of the skin to get the zest.
- Cook the carrot pieces in a bit of water with 1/4 of the orange zest and a bit of salt.
- Peel and cut the potatoes and cook them in a bit of water with 1/4 of the orange zest and a bit of salt.
- Using the oil, sauté the scallions just enough until glassy and sweet, not even golden brown.
- Put the sautéed scallions in a small bowl.
- Juice the oranges and add the juice to the onions.
- When the carrots and potatoes are both cooked and soft.
- Drain the water from each.
- Using a fork, slightly mash the potatoes. They are to be a rough consistency. Not like mashed potatoes.
- Add the carrots and mash a bit more. Add the onion/orange juice mixture and the rest of the zest, and mix all together.
- Taste, and perhaps you may wish to season with a bit more salt, although we did not find it necessary.
- Perhaps a dash of nutmeg might be nice, but we didn’t want to overpower the hint of orange.
We served this as a side dish with seitan, it is also nice with tofu or tempeh as well.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.