This was a new way for us to enjoy chili by using the lentils. It was very tasty and warmed us well on a chilly spring evening.
Serving Size: 4
- 3/4 cup dry lentils (I used brown)
- 1/2 cup TVP (reconstituted)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 med. carrot, cut in small pieces
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 3/4 tsp. cumin
- 1&1/2 Tbs. chili powder
- 2-3 good dashes cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. mustard
- 2 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. allspice
- salt and pepper to taste
for the coriander soy yogurt
- 1/4 cup plain soy yogurt
- handful coriander or cilantro
- dash onion powder
- dash garlic powder
- Reconstitute the TVP with a bit of water.
- Peel and cut the carrot.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
- Add the onions, carrots and garlic and saute until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the lentils and stir well.
- Add the water and vegetable bouillon cube stir well and bring to a boil.
- Add the TVP, the crushed tomatoes, and the rest of the seasonings.
- Turn the heat down to and allow the chili to cook for about 45 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper cayenne and or brown sugar.
- At the very last moment, I added a bit of Tabasco as well.
- We enjoyed this with a dollop of coriander (cilantro) soy yogurt.
- To make the coriander soy yogurt:
- Place the ingredients in the blender and puree.