Black-eyed pea salad
Black-eyed peas are very nutritious, and cook quickly. This salad is filling and full of flavor. We enjoyed this on a hot day, with a rice salad and a crusty home made bread.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas, or 1 (14 oz.) can, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (I prefer red, orange or yellow bell peppers as they are sweeter)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2-3 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- dash Tabasco
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- If using dried black eyed peas, soak them for at least 2-3 hours then boil in salted water for 45 minutes or until soft.
- Toss together black-eyed peas, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic in large bowl.
- Toss avocado with lemon juice in separate bowl.
- Add avocado to black-eyed pea mixture.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, Tabasco, cayenne, and sugar in the bowl used for the avocado.
- Toss black-eyed pea mixture with dressing.
- Serve at room temperature in a lettuce cup.
Inspired by Vegetarian Times magazine October 2007