Black-eyed pea salad
Black-eyed peas are very nutritious, and cook quickly. This salad is filling and full of flavor. We enjoyed this on a hot day, with a rice salad and a crusty home made bread.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas, or 1 (14 oz.) can, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (I prefer red, orange or yellow bell peppers as they are sweeter)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2-3 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- dash Tabasco
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- If using dried black eyed peas, soak them for at least 2-3 hours then boil in salted water for 45 minutes or until soft.
- Toss together black-eyed peas, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic in large bowl.
- Toss avocado with lemon juice in separate bowl.
- Add avocado to black-eyed pea mixture.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, Tabasco, cayenne, and sugar in the bowl used for the avocado.
- Toss black-eyed pea mixture with dressing.
- Serve at room temperature in a lettuce cup.
Inspired by Vegetarian Times magazine October 2007
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.