Gnocchi with Mushroom Sauce
Yum, the taste and colors of Italy. We enjoyed this meal on a cold winters night, it really brought the warmth of Italy into the house. We enjoyed this meal with fresh green beans, steamed, and then with just olive oil, garlic and a bit of lemon juice. Freshly made biscuits, a lovely large mixed salad, and a delicious biologically grown wine from the French region “Vallee de Aude”. Altogether it made a warm and special ending to our chilly winter’s weekend.
- 1 & 1/4 Lb. mushrooms
- 1 pkg. gnocchi
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 1 can tomato pieces
- 2 Tbs. parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbs. oregano
- 2 Tbs. vegan Parmesan (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and trim the mushrooms. Cut in half or quarter those that are large.
- Saute the onion and garlic in a large pan until they are soft and transparent.
- Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and saute until they begin to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley and oregano.
- Cook until the mushrooms are soft, then reduce the heat.
- Meanwhile bring a pot of salted water to boil. Cook the gnocchi as directed.
- Season to taste with additional herbs, salt and pepper, and if desired vegan parmesan cheese.
- Drain the gnocchi.
- Serve the sauce warm over the gnocchi.