Wild Rice and Fava Bean Salad
The flavors of wild rice and fava beans are delicious together, although a nice vinaigrette is also important.
Serving Size: 4
Yield: 3 cups
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 kg / 4.4 lb fava beans (in their pods)
- 1 purple onion, chopped
For the vinaigrette salad dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons fruit vinegar (as raspberry or strawberry, otherwise red wine)
- 1-2 teaspoon nice mustard (we used cassis mustard)
- 1 tablespoon water
- mixed herbs, minced (we used tarragon, and thyme)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Prepare the fresh favas by first removing them from the pods.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook the beans for 5 -8 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the cooked beans with cold water.
- When they are cool enough to handle, remove the outer skins.
- You will probably wind up with a bit over 1 cup of fava beans
- Cook the rice in boiling water with a bit of salt until the rice is soft and done.
- When the rice is done, drain off excess water and rinse with cold water.
- Place the rice in a large bowl.
- Add the fava beans.
- Mice the onion and add to the salad.
- Make the vinaigrette and pour over the salad to season.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper or your choice of herbs.
- We enjoyed the salad served on a bed of lettuce.
You could also use edamame instead of the fava beans.