Chocolate Beetcake with Raspberry Filling and Frosting
This makes a very rich and impressive birthday cake, full of chocolate flavor. The beets are undetectable, yet add a deep color and moistness to the cake.
Serving Size: 8
Yield: 1 cake
for the beetcake:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup bitter cocoa powder
- 1&1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 3 egg substitutes (I used “No Egg” Substitute it is similar to Ener-G)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1&1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1&1/2 cups fresh beets, cooked and pureed (about 3 large beets)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
for the filling:
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
for the frosting:
- 1 cup vegan margarine, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 375 F /190 C.
- Oil and flour a 7 inch /18 cm spring form.
- In one bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, egg substitute powder and salt.
- In a second bowl, puree the cooked beets.
- Add the oil and sugar and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the beet mixture to the flour mixture and mix with a spoon or spatula.
- If the mixture is too thick, add 1/4 cup of water or beet juice. It should be a thick batter similar to brownie mix.
- Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan and place in the preheated oven to bake for 40-50 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick or if the center of the cake springs back.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the spring form, then allow to cool completely on a rack before cutting in half and frosting.
- When the cake has cooled, slice the cake in half.
- Spread the raspberry jam in the center of the bottom half of the cake and evenly spread over the cake.
- Place the top half of the cake back on the cake.
to make the frosting:
- Mix the powdered sugar with the vegan margarine.
- Add 1 tablespoon of raspberry jam. If you wish a deeper color, add a 2nd tablespoon of jam. Mix well.
- Frost the cake using a knife or spatula.
- Carefully transfer the cake from the cooling rack to a serving plate.
This cake is so tasty, it really doesn’t need filling or frosting, as an alternative, you can dust it with powdered sugar.