Broccoli Sunflower Seed Soup
What a nice soup this is. We left it on the thick side. Today is cold and rainy, this lovely soup really made a great lunch.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. broccoli
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels (plus extra for garnish)
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- splash Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup plain soy yogurt
- Chop the onion and celery.
- Cut the broccoli in small pieces leaving a few nice florets whole
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion and celery and begin to saute.
- Add the broccoli pieces.
- Stir to mix the flavors well.
- Add the vegetable stock and red pepper flakes and bring the soup to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat and allow to cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the sunflower seeds and continue cooking.
- Remove a few broccoli florets from the soup to use as garnish.
- When the broccoli has become softer but still retaining it’s bright green color, pure. I use an immersion blender. It will be a very thick.
- Add the soy yogurt and blend again.
- If you wish the soup to be thinner, add 1/2 cup of vegetable bouillon.
- Season to taste with additional salt and lemon pepper and perhaps another dash of Tabasco.
- Serve the soup garnished with a few broccoli florets and some sun flower seeds.