Jelled Orange Carrot Salad
This salad had always been a favorite salad of mine while growing up. I have missed it. So, I was very happy when this worked out so well.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons orange marmelade, ginger marmelade or agave syrup
- 10 grams agar agar (about 2 teaspoons)
- soyanaise as a garnish
- Spray a shallow baking dish or molds with oil.
- Peel and grate the carrots.
- Pour the orange juice into a medium saucepan.
- Add the sweetener and stir well to mix.
- Add the agar agar ad gain stir well to mix.
- Bring the orange juice mixture to a boil, stirring.
- Let it boil for 2 minutes then turn off the heat, and remove the pan fro the burner.
- I allowed it to cool a bit, as I did not want to cook the carrots.
- After 1-2 minutes, I added the carrots and stirred well to mix.
- Pour the mixture into the molds or baking dish then refrigerate.
- I was very happy that after 2-3 hours the salad was totally jelled.
- We served the salad, cut in squares, on a small bed of lettuce with a dollop of soyanaise on top, and a small lemon balm leaf.
- It’s important to have some oil (as is in the soyanaise) so that the vitamin A of the carrots is freed for digestion.
We used a product called Agartine by Ruf. Which was individual prepackaged amounts of 10 grams of agar agar.