Creamy Mushroom Soup with Spring Vegetables
This was a lovely soup to have on a fresh spring day.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped in small pieces
- 1 leek (or 2 spring onions) cut in small pieces
- 1/2 sweet bell pepper (I used a yellow one), cut in small pieces
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced or quartered
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 5 – 6 fresh asparagus spears, cut in small pieces
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1/4 cup soy cream
- Peel and cut the carrot.
- Cut the leek and the bell pepper.
- Slice or quarter the mushrooms.
- Prepare the asparagus pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the carrots and saute until they begin to soften. Add the sweet bell pepper pieces and continue sautéing, stirring so that they do now brown.
- Add the mushrooms and leek.
- Mix all well to blend the flavors and coat with oil.
- Add the water and bouillon and cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Mix the flour with a bit of water in a bowl to make a liquid paste.
- Add the soy cream and blend well. Add this to the soup and stir.
- Add the peas and asparagus and gently cook until the soup has thickened (3-5 minutes).
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper as needed.