These are really delicious and go great with fresh home made spaghetti and vegan organic wine.
- 3 cups AP flour
- 30 grams yeast (1 packet)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch salt
- 1-2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Put the warm water in a bowl, add the sugar and the yeast and allow to grow in a warm place for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Place the flour, and salt in a bowl and mix so that the salt is mixed in with the flour.
- Pour the water and yeast over, add oil and mix well using a blender.
- Allow to rise in a warm area with a clean towel over the top.
- Allow it to double in size, that will be about 1/2 an hour to 45 minutes depending upon the temperature.
- When the dough is ready, turn it out on a lightly floured surface and kneed it lightly.
- Sprinkle the baking powder over the dough and kneed a bit more to even the mixture.
- Take a small handful (about 2 tablespoons in amount) of the dough and roll it out as a “fat snake”.
- Make a small circle and bring the last end through the hole thus making a knot.
- Bake in a preheated 450 F / 232 C oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- While the knots are baking, prepare the garlic butter.
- Melt the vegan margarine and olive oil in a small sauce pan.
- Add the minced garlic, but keep the heat low, as you do not want to brown the garlic.
- Add the rest of the seasonings and keep the mixture warm.
- When the knots are done, remove from the oven and drizzle the garlic “butter” over each of the knots.
- Sprinkle extra minced parsley as a garnish.