Potato, Apple and Onion Gratin
We really enjoyed this as part of our main meal today. The mixture of apples, potatoes and onions is really lovely.
Serving Size: 4
- 6-8 med large red skinned potatoes
- 4 large apples of choice (best is somewhat tart and baking)
- 3 large red onions
- 3 tablespoons oil or vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup soy cream
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 204 C.
- Oil an oven-proof casserole dish, or 4 individual baking dishes
- Slice the onions in fine rings
- Heat the oil or vegan margarine in a large frying pan.
- Saute the onions until the begin to become glassy and soft.
- Thinly slice the potatoes, add to the onions and add the thyme, mix well.
- When the potatoes begin to soften, add the white wine.
- Core the apples and slice thinly.
- Add to the cooking potatoes and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Mix the soy cream with the cornstarch and add to the mixture in the frying pan.
- Remove from the heat and place in the casserole dish or individual baking dishes.
- Place a lid or aluminum foil over the casserole dish and bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the mixture begins to bubble and the potatoes become soft.
- Remove the aluminum foil or lid to the baking dish for the last 5 minutes of cooking in order to lightly brown the top.
- Allow the side dish to cool slightly before serving.