Pear Delights – Pears and Raspberry-Applesauce On Puff Pastry
These are so simple, yet delicious and even appearing elegant.
- 4 slices frozen vegan puff pastry, thawed
- 4 tablespoons raspberry-applesauce
- 2 pears, peeled and sliced in half
- 4 teaspoons of agave, ginger syrup or sugar water
- vegan whipped topping optionally the side
- Preheat the oven according to instructions on the package (approx. 420 F).
- Thaw the vegan puff pastry and place on a cookie sheet prepared with baking parchment or on a non-stick baking mat.
- When the pastry has thawed gently roll the edges over and press with a fork to make a small raised edge or frame.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of raspberry-applesauce into the center area of each pastry and spread evenly to the edges.
- Peel the pears and slice each in half, just along the core so that the core is not included. We also sliced “ribs” along the top of the pear halves, but this was only a decorative step.
- Carefully lay one pear half in the center of each puff pastry
- Using a teaspoon “pour” or brush a bit of agave or ginger syrup on top of the pear so that it does not dry out while baking.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minute or until the puff pastry is golden brown.
- When the puff pastry is golden and crispy remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve the pastry with a dollop of whipped non-dairy topping and a light dusting of cinnamon.
The raspberry-applesauce was home made. You can use any sort of applesauce. If using plain applesauce, I would add a bit of cinnamon as the applesauce is quite similar in flavor to pears. We wanted more of a contrast or compliment. Even jam could be used, however that would be quite sweet and might overpower the subtle pear.