Celery Root Gnocchi with Apple Carrot Sauce
This is a delicious meal. It’s an amazing combination that we really enjoyed.
Serving Size: 4
for the gnocchi:
- 1 lb. potatoes, baked
- 1 lb. celery root, peeled, chopped and steamed
- 1/2 cup Ap flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash white pepper
- dash nutmeg
- 2 cups vegetable bouillon
for the sauce:
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1-2 cups water
- pinch nutmeg
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 F / 218 C.
- Wash the potatoes and prick the skin overall with a fork.
- Place the potatoes in the oven to bake for 45 minutes. If time is a problem you could microwave, however we usually refrain from doing so.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the sauce. Peel and cut the carrots.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the carrots.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Peel and cut the apples and add to the carrots.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook until the carrots are soft.
- Once the carrots are soft, puree the mixture.
- Season with salt and white pepper, thyme and a bit of nutmeg if desired.
- Keep warm on a low heat until needed.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the celery root and steam until soft.
- When the celery root pieces are soft, remove from the steamer but keep the broth.
- Puree the celery root to a smooth cream.
- When the potatoes are done, allow to cool slightly, then slice open and add potato flesh to the celery puree.
- Mix well with a fork.
- Add the flour, olive oil, salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
- I usually mix this with a fork, it can also be done using a food processor. The result should be a thick dough. If it is too sticky, add a bit more flour.
- Allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes then turn out onto a lightly floured workspace and kneed the dough.
- Roll the dough into long ropes, then cut into bite sized pieces and mark with the traditional “gnocchi look” using a fork.
- Place the gnocchi on a lightly floured platter to await cooking.
- To cook the gnocchi place the water from the steamed celery root with the he vegetable bouillon in a large soup pot and bring to a soft boil.
- Add the gnocchi pieces about 15-20 at a time.
- They are ready when they float to the top.
- To serve the dish place a generous amount of the apple carrot sauce in the bottom of an individual bowl.
- Add the gnocchi pieces and sprinkle with vegan parmesan and thyme or nutmeg as desired.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.