Celery Root Gnocchi with Apple Carrot Sauce
This is a delicious meal. It’s an amazing combination that we really enjoyed.
Serving Size: 4
for the gnocchi:
- 1 lb. potatoes, baked
- 1 lb. celery root, peeled, chopped and steamed
- 1/2 cup Ap flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash white pepper
- dash nutmeg
- 2 cups vegetable bouillon
for the sauce:
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1-2 cups water
- pinch nutmeg
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 F / 218 C.
- Wash the potatoes and prick the skin overall with a fork.
- Place the potatoes in the oven to bake for 45 minutes. If time is a problem you could microwave, however we usually refrain from doing so.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the sauce. Peel and cut the carrots.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the carrots.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Peel and cut the apples and add to the carrots.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook until the carrots are soft.
- Once the carrots are soft, puree the mixture.
- Season with salt and white pepper, thyme and a bit of nutmeg if desired.
- Keep warm on a low heat until needed.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the celery root and steam until soft.
- When the celery root pieces are soft, remove from the steamer but keep the broth.
- Puree the celery root to a smooth cream.
- When the potatoes are done, allow to cool slightly, then slice open and add potato flesh to the celery puree.
- Mix well with a fork.
- Add the flour, olive oil, salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
- I usually mix this with a fork, it can also be done using a food processor. The result should be a thick dough. If it is too sticky, add a bit more flour.
- Allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes then turn out onto a lightly floured workspace and kneed the dough.
- Roll the dough into long ropes, then cut into bite sized pieces and mark with the traditional “gnocchi look” using a fork.
- Place the gnocchi on a lightly floured platter to await cooking.
- To cook the gnocchi place the water from the steamed celery root with the he vegetable bouillon in a large soup pot and bring to a soft boil.
- Add the gnocchi pieces about 15-20 at a time.
- They are ready when they float to the top.
- To serve the dish place a generous amount of the apple carrot sauce in the bottom of an individual bowl.
- Add the gnocchi pieces and sprinkle with vegan parmesan and thyme or nutmeg as desired.