Mashed Rutabaga with Ginger Roasted Pears
This is really delicious and would be a perfect side dish for any holiday meal. It’s sweet enough that even kids would love it.
- 4 lbs. rutabaga, peeled and cut into pieces
- 3-4 ripe pears, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 2″ knob ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup soy cream
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- salt and (white) pepper to taste
- mint as optional garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F / 204 C.
- Oil an oven proof baking dish.
- Peel and cut the pears, remember to slice a few to use as garnish. The rest can be cubed or chopped.
- Place the pears in the baking dish, add the sugar and sprinkle the ginger on top.
- Place the pears in the oven to roast for about 1/2 an hour, turning every so often to ensure even baking.
- Meanwhile, peel the rutabaga and cut into small chunks.
- We prefer to steam the rutabaga. Steam for about 35 minutes or until soft.
- Puree the cooked rutabaga either with a potato ricer, or an infusion blender, or whatever you have.
- Add the vegan margarine and a splash of non-dairy creamer as soy cream.
- Add most of the roasted pears with the juice and puree. Reserve some pears as garnish.
- Season with salt and pepper and the thyme.
- To serve the side dish, place in a serving dish and add the rest of the pears. We used a few mint leaves as garnish also.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.