Strawberry Apple Hand Pies
Hand pies are so easy to make, and “handy” to have. There are many different fillings to make. This time we made a nice combination of apple and strawberries.
Yield: 8 four inch hand pies
for the dough:
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegan margarine, cold
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
for the filling:
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and cubed in very small pieces
- 6-8 large ripe strawberries, cleaned hulled and cu in small pieces
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- lemon juice
- soy yogurt wash
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon as topping
to make the dough:
- Place the flour, salt and baking powder in a food processor.
- Pulse to mix.
- Cut the vegan margarine into small pieces and add to the flour.
- Pulse to form small sand-like granules.
- Add the soy yogurt and pulse again to form the dough.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool for 1/2 hour.
meanwhile make the filling:
- Clean, hull and cut the strawberries ad place in a bowl.
- Peel and core the apple and cut in very small cubes.
- Add a splash of lemon juice and mix well.
- Add the sugar and flour and again mix so that all the pieces of fruit are evenly covered.
to make the hand pies:
- Preheat the oven to 425 F / 218 C.
- Prepare a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator.
- Roll out the dough in a lightly floured workspace.
- The dough should be 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
- We used a pudding bowl to cut 16 four inch circles.
- Place 8 of the circles on the baking parchment.
- Spoon a generous portion of the filling into the center of each of the circles.
- Using the rolling pin, I slightly enlarged each of the remaining 8 circles so they would fit over the mound of fruit and match the outer edge of the bottom dough effortlessly.
- Place the 2nd set circles on top of each mound of fruit and crimp the edges with a fork to ensure a good closure.
- Mix the sugar with the cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Brush the top of each hand pie with a bit of soy yogurt thinned with a splash of water.
- Sprinkle the tops of each hand pie with the cinnamon sugar and place i the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- When the pies are done, remove from the oven, place on a cooling rack.
- We enjoyed these warm with a up of coffee.