Sprouted spelt pate
Based on sprouted spelt and tofu this makes a really good vegan pate as bread spread or a nice snack with homemade crackers. It will take 1-3 days to sprout the spelt, so start that first.
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 cup sprouted spelt (from 1/2 dry)
- 1/2 cup tofu, crumbled
- 1 onion, chopped and sautéed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons powdered onion
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil,
- sesame oil
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons corn starch mixed with water
- Place 1/2 cup spelt in a bowl of water and allow to soak for 1-3 days, changing the water 2-3 times daily.
- Once the spelt has sprouted, rinse the spelt one last time, then place in a food processor to puree.
- Melt the coconut oil in a frying pan and sauté the chopped onion.
- When the onion has turned glassy and soft, add to the spelt and pulse to mix.
- Add the tofu and continue to process the mixture into as fine a mass as possible.
- Add the Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce, and nutritional yeast and continue to process.
- If the mixture is too thick you can add a bit of water to help the mixture to puree.
- Once the mixture has become a smooth mass, add the herbs and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and any additional seasonings you feel are needed.
- We found allspice, rosemary and nutmeg to be important to achieve the right flavor.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan.
- Mix the cornstarch with some water and add to the mixture.
- Heat the mixture, stirring.
- Once it becomes very thick, pour into the moulds which were oiled with sesame oil and place in the refrigerator to cool and solidify (about 2 hours).