Pasta with Asparagus and Lemon Balm Pesto
This was a delicious meal which will probably be our last of the asparagus season. The lemon balm pesto was delicious.
Serving Size: 2
for the pasta:
- 2 cups wholewheat penne
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 1 cup lemon balm pesto
for the pesto:
- 2 cups fresh lemon balm leaves
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
to make the pesto:
- Place the lemon balm, parsley, oil and lemon juice in a food processor or blender and pulse to puree.
- Drain the cashew nuts, add to the food processor and pulse again to puree.
- Add the garlic, nutritional yeast and any liquid that may be needed to aid the machine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
to make the pasta:
- Clean and cut the asparagus into 1-2 inch pieces..
- Place in a small pot of boiling water and cook al dente.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil and cook the pasta.
- Drain the asparagus when done, and plunge into cold water to stop the cooking process.
- When the pasta is done, drain.
- Add the lemon balm pesto and mix well.
- Add the asparagus and carefully mix.
- Serve the pasta in individual bowls.
The pesto makes a delicious sandwich spread or dip for vegetables also.