Italian Summer Casserole
This is a delicious meal we enjoyed last night. We will be having this more often throughout the summer while our zucchini plants are producing full steam.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan almond cheese
for 1 cup vegan Parmesan cheese:
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/8 lemon grass powder (optional but nice)
- pinch cayenne (optional but give a bit of heat and bite)
to make the vegan Parmesan cheese:
- If almond meal is not available you can put 1 cup almonds in a food processor and process until the consistency of grainy flour.
- Place the almond meal in a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the “cheese” and whisk well to mix.
- This will make more than you need to the casserole, but the rest can be stored in an airtight jar and used later.
to make the casserole:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF / 177ºC.
- Oil an oven-proof baking dish about 9X9.
- Cut the zucchini in rounds about 1/2 inch thick, then quarter each round.
- Place the zucchini pieces in a large bowl.
- Slice the eggplant in 1/2 inch rounds and then cut into similar sized pieces as the zucchini.
- Add the eggplant to the bowl with the zucchini pieces.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add to the vegetables.
- Chop the basil.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables and mix well.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the vegan Parmesan cheese and Italian herbs over the vegetables and mix well.
- Place the vegetables in the baking dish.
- Cover with either baking parchment or aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the baking parchment or aluminum foil.
- When the vegetables are tender, the meal is ready to be enjoyed.
- Sprinkle a bit more of the vegan cheese and herbs.
- We enjoyed the meal with a wholegrain baguette and a mixed salad.
Recipe adapted from http://www.wellplated.com/tomato-egglant-zucchini-bake/