Vegan Chickun and White Bean Soup
Hearty and delicious, this soup is quick and easy to make and is a whole meal in a bowl.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 (8 ounce) package soy protein (chickun style) pieces
- 1 (16 ounce can) cannellini beans (or other white bean)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable bouillon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 splash lemon juice
- 1 splash Tabasco
- 1 hot chili pepper or jalapeno, de-seeded and minced
- 1-2 handfuls baby greens (spinach, beet and or Swiss chard)
- 1 handful coriander or cilantro, chopped
- avocado and more coriander as garnish
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the chopped celery, onions, garlic and chopped chile or jalapeño if using and sauté until they begin to soften.
- Drain and rinse the beans and add to the cooking celery and onions.
- Add the vegetable bouillon.
- If you wish to have a slightly thicker soup, using a potato masher or a fork, slightly mash a few beans as they are cooking this will thicken the soup, but leave many beans still whole.
- Season with the chili or jalapeño and cumin.
- Add the chickun pieces and chopped coriander or cilantro and the splash of lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Shortly before serving add the handful of baby greens (spinach, beet greens and/or Swiss chard).
- Serve the soup garnished with avocado pieces and a few coriander leaves.