Autumn Harvest Panzanella Salad
Panzanellas have become a favorite household salad here at Vegalicious. Earlier this year we made a delicious panzanella that uses lentils. But now that it is fall, and we have a lovely red kuri squash harvest we are anxious to dig into these little babies.
Serving Size: 4
- 3 cups winter squash (red kuri, etc.), small bite sized cubes
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts , trimmed and halved (about 20 sprouts depending on size)
- 2 cups red beets, peeled and cubed (2-3 small beets)
- 3 cups crusty day old bread
- 3 cups kale, chopped leaves
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cups pumpkin seeds
for the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or other fruit vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave
- 1 heaping teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C.
- Cut the day old bread into cubes.
- Place in a bowl and drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the cubes and mix well so all the cubes have been oiled. Alternatively, you could brush each one using a cooking brush.
- Place on a cookie sheet with baking parchment and in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- When they are done, remove from the cookie sheet, place in a bowl to await further use.
- While the bread cubes are toasting, prepare the vegetables. Cut the stem off the Brussels sprouts, remove and old outer leaves and cut the sprout in half.
- Cut the winter squash in half and remove the seeds and inner stringy membranes.
- Cut the squash in small bite sized pieces.
- Peel the beets and cut into small cubes.
- When you remove the bread from the oven, keep the baking parchment on the cookie sheet and place the prepared vegetables on the cookie sheet.
- Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, cut the stems away from the kale and chop the kale into small pieces.
- Place in a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and massage to a bight green color.
- When the vegetables are done, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the bread pieces to the kale and mix.
- Add the vegetables to the salad.
- Drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing over the salad and gently toss to mix.
- Add the pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries.
- Serve the salad on individual plates and allow guests to help them selves for more dressing as desired.