Beet Leaf Pesto
We have enjoyed many different pesto’s this year – dandelion leaf pesto, of course, kale pesto, carrot top pesto and now beet leaf pesto. They make a delicious mild pesto. We saved the pesto on spaghetti with the beets cut in small cubes. The pesto also makes a nice spread for crackers.
Yield: 1-2 cups
- 4-5 cups beet leaves, cleaned and chopped
- ¾-1 cup walnuts
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- splash chili sauce (optional but nice)
- Wash and roughly chop the beet leaves. Chop to a fine consistency.
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice. Puree again.
- Add the walnuts and again puree to a smooth consistency.
- Add the nutritional yeast, mustard powder, salt and pepper and puree.
- Optionally add a splash of hot chili sauce.