Salad of Roasted Parsnips, Beets and Quince with Oranges
This is a great salad, refreshing and lovely to look at. It would be a nice holiday meal, or can be served at any time.
for the salad:
- 1 large or 2 medium parsnips
- 1 quince
- 2-3 medium beets
- 2 oranges
- for 4 people mixed greens (e.g. romaine, iceberg, arugula)
- pumpkin seeds as garnish
for the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 heaping teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon mild mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F/205°C.
- Peel the parsnip(s) slice and place on a cookie sheet prepared with baking parchment.
- Core and slice the quince in slices similar to the parsnips.
- Peel the beets and slice similar to the parsnips and quince.
- Place all on the parchment paper.
- Spray or coat with olive oil.
- Roast in the oven 30 minutes or until lightly golden and soft yet, al dente.
- While the vegetables are roasting, make the dressing.
- Place all the ingredients in a carafe and mix well.
- Peel the oranges and slice in sections.
- When the vegetables are done, remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool.
- Place the greens on 4 individual salad plates.
- Lay a mixture of the parsnips, beets and quince on the greens.
- Add a generous amount of orange segments on the salad and garnish with the pumpkin seeds.