Sweet Sour Salad with Beets, Rutabaga and Oranges
This is as delicious as it is colorful and healthy. It’s a lovely fall or winter salad.
Serving Size: 4
for the salad:
- 3-4 medium red beets, peeled and cut into chunks
- ¼ medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium radicchio, sliced
- handful young leaves beet greens, cleaned and trimmed
- handful sunflower seeds
- 2 organic oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 orange organic orange zest
- radish sprouts and orange zest as garnish
for the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic or fruit vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mild mustard
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 tablespoon maple or agave syrup
- Peel and cut the beets.
- Place in a small sauce pan and cover with water and a pinch of salt.
- Cook until the beets are fork soft.
- Peel and cut the rutabaga.
- Place in a separate saucepan and cover with water.
- Cook until the rutabaga is fork soft.
- Alternatively you can steam each of these vegetables, but do it separately otherwise the rutabaga will become beet red.
- When the vegetables are done, remove from the heat, drain and allow to cool.
- Zest one of the oranges, then peel both and slice in sections.
- Section the oranges over a bowl, so you can catch the juice and use for the dressing, also squeeze the white inner part left over from sectioning as there is a lot of juice there also.
- Make the dressing by mixing the ingredients together.
- Slice the radicchio, clean and trim the beet greens.
- Make a bed of the radicchio on each salad plate.
- Arrange the beets, rutabaga and orange sections on the radicchio.
- Add the beet greens here and there.
- Sprinkle the sunflower seeds.
- Top with the radish sprouts and orange zest.
- Drizzle the dressing on the salad, serve and enjoy.
Alternatively you could use golden beets, but I think the contrast of the red beets and the golden rutabaga is more attractive.