Purple Sprouting Broccoli on Pasta
This is a lovely simple meal using fresh purple sprouting broccoli from our garden. The sprouting broccoli unfortunately does not keep its purple color. It is very nice served with a mixed salad, whole grain bread and a vegan organic wine.
Serving Size: 4
- 14 ounces (dry) pasta (orechiette, castellane or even penne)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
- 1 organic lemon, zest and juice
- 1½ pounds purple sprouting broccoli
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil and cook the pasta a dente.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan.
- Add the garlic to warm and season, but careful not to burn.
- Zest the lemon then juice it.
- Add the lemon juice to the garlic oil.
- Add the red pepper flakes and season with salt and black pepper.
- Stir to mix well.
- Keep the heat on low to keep the sauce warm.
- Remove the big thick stems and leaves from the purple sprouting broccoli.
- Steam the broccoli for 7 minutes (al dente) it will turn green.
- Drain the pasta and serve evenly on 4 plates.
- Add the broccoli on top and pour some of the sauce over each serving.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest or serve with a slice of lemon.