Beet and Rye Bread Panzanella
We really enjoyed this salad. The rye bread is a great accompaniment to the beets.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 large beets, cleaned
- 1 red onion
- 3-4 slices rye bread, crust removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 organic orange, zested, peeled and sectioned
- 2-3 ounces vegan feta
- fresh herbs: parsley, salad burnet, mint, cleaned
for the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons organic orange zest, some reserved as garnish
- orange juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic or fruit vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- zest of orange as garnish
- Wash and scrub the beets. We prefer to steam them, therefor, we peel the beets, cut into bite-sized pieces. Place the beets in a steam and steam for 7 m injures or until soft by al dente. When the beets are done, remove from the steamer and allow to cool.
- While the beets are cooking:
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°F/220°C.
- Cut the crusts from the rye bread.
- Tear or cut into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the pieces and toss to mix.
- Place the bread pieces on a cookie sheet prepared with baking parchment and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when light and crispy.
- Zest the orange and save the zest.
- Carefully peel the orange to remove the outer white parts of the peel.
- Carefully remove the individual sections of the orange and place in a bowl.
- Arrange the beets and orange pieces on salad plates.
- Add a generous portion of the rye bread pieces to each salad.
- Add some of the fresh herbs to each salad.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and drizzle on each salad.
- Add the vegan feta pieces to each salad.
- Garnish the salads with additional orange zest and serve.
We saw this recipe at bonappetite.com. It only took a few changes to make it vegan. We also used a few different herbs such as salad burnet, as that is what is growing in our garden at this time.