Pomegranate Lentil Soup
This is a very hearty flavorful soup. With the lentils and the rice, we have a complete protein. The mint and pomegranate give the soup a sweetness, although it is mildly so. The recipe makes a lot It would serve 4 as a full supper or 8 as a starter.
Serving Size: 4
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 2 tablespoons soy margarine or Earth Balance
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups (2 quarts) water
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 Tsb. turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- splash of lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup pomegranate juice or 1/4 cup grenadine syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy margarine or Earth Balance
- 1 bunch fresh mint, chopped or 2 Tbs. crushed dried leaf mint
- 2 Tabs. fresh pomegranate seeds or raisins to garnish
- Rinse lentils several times. Set aside to drain.
- Melt the soy margarine in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the sweet onions and gently saute until soft.
- Add garlic and saute 2 additional minutes.
- Add water, drained lentils, rice, turmeric, salt, and pepper and vegetable bouillon cube.
- Cover and simmer on low about 45 minutes, until lentils and rice are tender.
- Check to see if more water is necessary.
- Add basil,a bit of minced mint, green onions, and pomegranate juice to the soup.
- Simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of soy margarine in a small skillet, add rest of the mint and saute.
- Divide soup into serving bowls.
- Drizzle each with the mint and sprinkle with a few pomegranate seeds or raisins to serve.
When I first found the recipe, I made it according to the instructions, but found it to be a bit bland, therefor this is the tweaked version which we have really enjoyed at dinner tonight.