Spicy Sweet Potato Spread
This makes a very tasty spread especially nice on dark sweet pumpernickel bread. It would also be a tasty dip for vegetables and some fruit as well.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1-2 splashes chili oil or Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1-2 teaspoon maple syrup
- very small pinch of salt
- Peel the sweet potato and slice in large pieces.
- Place in a steam and steam until soft.
- Puree the cooked sweet potato to a smooth consistency.
- Add the seasonings.
- Taste to season and season to taste. We did not want a salty flavor, we wanted a sweet spread, but with a slight kick of warmth both immediately on the tongue (from the chili or Tabasco) and a longer lasting warmth gotten from the ginger.