Carrot Apple Soup with Fresh Herbs
Here is a very tasty soup for the apple season. Our tree has already been giving us some lovely apples and we have some lovely recipes to share with you. This is the first apple recipe of the season and lots more to come.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 5 medium large carrots, peeled ad cut into rounds
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium apples, peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 fresh sage leaves chopped
- 2 small twigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- salt and pepper as needed
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 4 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- chopped fresh chives as garnish
- Place the oil in a large pot.
- Add the onion, ginger and carrots and begin to saute.
- As the onion begins to soften and become glassy, add the water ad vegetable bouillon cube.
- Add the sage, thyme and bay and cook until the carrots begin to soften.
- Add the apple pieces and continue to cook until the apples are also soft – only a few minutes.
- Puree the soup. I use an immersion blender. If using a regular blender, puree in batches and return the puree to the pot to rewarm.
- Season t taste with salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with chives and enjoy.