Vegan Bell Pepper Pesto Panini
This is known also as The Montreal Panini by Honey, What’s Cooking, which was inspired by a delicious sandwich from a little cafe in Montreal named Claude Postel. We have been enjoying this recipe for our lunches lately. It is quick and easy to make and very tasty.
Yield: 5-6 slices
for the panini:
- Vegan basil pesto (see below)
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 Yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices whole grain bread
- 1-2 ounces vegan cheese, grated
for the vegan basil pesto:
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
Make the pesto first as that takes the longest time.
to make the vegan pesto:
- Place the basil, olive oil and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Pulse the machine to puree the basil.
- When the basil has become pureed, add the walnut pieces, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Season to taste.
to make the panini:
- Slice the bell pepper in long thin slices.
- Saute the pepper slices until slightly soft, yet still crisp.
- Toast the slices of bread.
- Place a generous portion of peppers on each piece of toast.
- Place the slices on a cookie sheet and sprinkle the grated vegan cheese on top of each slice.
- Warm in the oven until the cheese is slightly melted. (5-7 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and drizzle the vegan basil pesto on top.
The original recipe was very easy to adapt to be vegan.