This is a very elegant recipe for the fresh white asparagus that is now in season. We enjoyed it over the weekend.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. white asparagus
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- splash lemon juice
- 2 shallots
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 2 cups white wine
- 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons mild grainy mustard
- dash white pepper
- salt to taste
- chives as optional garnish
- Prepare the asparagus by cutting of the old woody edge of the stem, peel the length of the spear with a vegetable peeler and slice the spear in bite-sized chunks.
- Bring a shallow pan of water to boil. Add the 2 teaspoons of sugar, the splash of lemon juice and cook the asparagus until al dente.
- When the asparagus is cooked, remove them from a pan and gently set them in a bowl to use later.
- Peel the shallots and cut into small pieces.
- Heat the vegan margarine and lightly saute the shallots.
- Add the risotto and and shortly cook, stirring, to evenly cover the risotto.
- Add the first cup of wine and begin stirring. As the risotto absorbs the wine, it will soften, but you will need the 2nd cup of wine, and possibly a bit more. It depends upon how fast or hot you are cooking.
- When the risotto has become cooked and soft, add the white pepper. Next add the nutritional yeast and stir in the mustard. Mix well.
- Taste and season accordingly.
- The last thing is to add the asparagus and gently mix into the risotto to rewarm.
- Cut a few chives and serve as garnish for the risotto.
This was a lot of white wine. If you wanted to conserve on the wine. I used an inexpensive dry white wine. You cold use vegetable bouillon, but it would change the flavor slightly.