These are very special savory scones. They are delicious. We enjoyed them for Sunday morning brunch, but they would be great as a mid-day snack or enhancing any meal.
Yield: 8 scones
- 1 & 1/4 cups walnuts, divided
- 2 & 1/4 cups AP flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup vegan or on-dairy cheese, grated
- 4 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 egg replacement
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- Toast the walnuts lightly, either in the oven or on the stove top in a large frying pan. (about 7-9 minutes)
- Chop 1 cup of the walnuts and grind the other 1/4 cup.
- Grate the non-dairy cheese.
- Prepare the egg replacement. (Usually a combination of dry ingredient and water.)
- Add the non-dairy milk, agave, the mustard and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 375℉/190℃.
- Place the flour, and ground walnuts in a large mixing bowl. Stir to mix evenly.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt and stir to mix.
- Cut in the vegan margarine and mix until the mixture is like coarse sand.
- Add the the nutritional yeast, thyme, chopped walnut pieces and stir to mix.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and stir with a fork until just moist.
- Lightly flour a work space and place the dough on the surface.
- Lightly fold and gently kneed the dough to an even smooth mixture.
- Place the dough on a cookie sheet prepared with baking parchment.
- Form the dough into a circle about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Using a floured knife, slice the circle into fourths, then each fourth in half to make 8 scones.
- Slightly separate the slices to give them space to expand.
- We garnished the scones with a couple of walnuts lightly pressed on the top of each scone.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- Allow the baked scones to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the scones warm.