Nut Filled Pears with Elderberry Sauce
This is a delicious and elegant treat that is also quite healthy. It makes lovely appetizer or delicious dessert.
Serving Size: 4
- 4 ripe pears, peeled, halved and deseeded
- 1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
- pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 cup homemade elderberry jam
- Melt the vegan margarine.
- Mix the ground nuts together in a small bowl.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon.
- Add the melted vegan margarine and mix.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 200 C.
- Line a cookie sheet with baking parchment.
- Peel the pears using a vegetable peeler.
- Slice the pears lengthwise through the center.
- Using a melon baller, remove the seeds.
- Place the pear halves on the cookie sheet.
- Fill each of the hollowed out areas with some of the nut mixture.
- Place in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes. Place on the lowest rack in the oven as the nuts cook quicker than the pears.
- While the pears are baking, heat the elderberry jam in a small saucepan.
- Stir the jam as it melts.
- Once the jam melts, remove from the heat.
- Remove the pears from the oven and place on individual plates and drizzle the elderberry syrup on top.
You could also use blueberry or any other berry jam.