Toast with Fava Bean, Avocado Spread and Pea Shoots
Pea shoots are a popular ingredient lately. As we enjoy growing peas we are happy to start some sprouts early so we can have some pea shoots. This spread is delicious and would be a good dip as well. The sesame oil is one of the most important ingredients. It doesn’t take much, but adds a lot of flavor.
Serving Size: 2
- 1 avocado
- ½-¾ cup fava beans, shelled, blanched and skinned
- 2 scallions or spring onions, green parts and white
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4-5 English muffins or wholewheat rolls, split and toasted
- Prepare the fava beans by removing them from the pod.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and put the beans in.
- When they float, they are ready to be removed.
- Drain off the boiling water and plunge the favas into icy water.
- Remove the skins from the beans and place the beans in a bowl
- Add the rest of the ingredients and puree. (I use an immersion blender).
- Toast the bread or English muffins in a toaster.
- Cut the pea shoots and wash.
- Place a generous amount of fava, avocado spread on each toast and top with the cut pea shoots.