Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Salted Caramel Dip and Sweet Chili Sauce
This is a fun and delicious way to enjoy Brussels sprouts. It works well as an appetizer or as party food. It can also be a side dish, depending on how you serve it. Presented here today, it was served as party food.
Serving Size: 4
1½ lb. Brussels sprouts
for the salted caramel sauce:
- 6 tablespoons non-dairy margarine
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup soy yogurt or non-dairy cream
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
for the sweet chili sauce:
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, minced
- ½teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot chili pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼cup white vinegar or rice vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾cup water
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons water to make a paste with the cornstarch
to make the caramel sauce:
- Place the non-dairy margarine in a sauce pan with low heat.
- Melt the margarine.
- When the margarine is melted, add the sugar and stir to blend.
- Once the mixture has melted, remove from the heat and add the soy yogurt, stirring to prevent separation.
- Add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of salt and taste.Add more salt as you prefer.
to make the chili sauce:
- Place the water and vinegar in a saucepan.
- Add the sugar and heat stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the ginger, garlic and chili peppers.
- Add the ketchup and a pinch of salt.
- Stir well to mix.
- Taste the mixture and season with any extra flavorings desired.
- Make a paste from the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water
- Add the cornstarch paste to the cooking mixture and cook until thickened and clear.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and allow to cool.
to roast the sprouts:
- Cut the dried edge of the stem off and either leave the sprouts whole, or slice in half.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 (F).
- Spread the sprouts on a baking sheet prepared with baking parchment.
- Sprinkle the sprouts with some olive oil.
- Roast for 25-35 minutes.
- Test the “done-ness” of the sprouts with a fork.
- Alternatively you can choose to steam the sprouts Prepare the sprouts and place in a steamer for 15-25 minutes.
- Test for “done-ness” with a fork.
- Serve the sprouts with the choice of both dips and some toothpicks or wooden pricks.