White Asparagus and Wild Garlic Soup
Two of the loveliest treats of spring are asparagus and wild garlic. This recipe features both of them together, making a delicious light soup. Perfect for a holiday brunch or Mother’s Day supper.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 pounds white asparagus
- pinch salt
- pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ liter water
- 1½ tablespoon vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons AP flour
- 8 ounces soy yogurt
- 1 bunch wild garlic
- Peel the outside of the white asparagus. Cut the woody end off and cut the stalks in 2 inch pieces, leaving the tip end a bit longer.
- Add the salt sugar and lemon juice to the water and bring to a boil boil.
- Add the asparagus pieces and cook al dente.
- Remove the asparagus pieces from the water.
- In a small pan, heat the vegan margarine and add the flour to make a rue.
- Return all but the tip ends of the asparagus to the water.
- Add the rue and stir we’ll to mix.
- Clean the wild garlic leaves and chop. Be sure to reserve a few leaves as garnish.
- Add the chopped garlic leaves to the soup.
- Puree the soup.
- Add the soy yogurt and puree once more.
- Season to taste with salt, white pepper and lemon juice as desired.
- Serve the asparagus soup in bowls, with a few tips of the asparagus added, a leaf of wild garlic and perhaps the flower as well. It is also edible.