Bruschetta with Muhammara Spread and Chopped Tomatoes
Muhammara is a very tasty spread for breads or dip for vegetables. We enjoyed it today on baguette slices with a tomato topping.
Yield: 12-14 slices
- 1 baguette, cut in slices diagonally
- ¼ cup olive oil, fro brushing the slices
for the muhammara:
- 3-4 roasted red bell peppers
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoky paprika powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup water
- salt to taste
for the topping:
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- pinch salt and pepper
- pinch Italian seasoning
- basil leaves as garnish
- Make the muhammara first. Roast the red bell peppers, or if using jarred roasted peppers, drain the peppers well.
- When cooled, remove any blackened parts, remove the seeds and place in a food processor.
- Add the walnuts, pomegranate molasses, cumin, garlic and smoky paprika and process to paste.
- Add the bread crumbs and cayenne and process.
- Add enough water to make the mixture smooth but not runny.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Prepare the tomato topping. Wash and chop the tomatoes and place in a bowl.
- Chop the onion in small pieces and add to the tomato pieces.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add a dash of Italian seasonings.
- Heat the grill.
- Slice the baguette and brush each side of the slices with olive oil.
- Place the slices on the grill and toast until lightly browned.
- Remove the toasted slices from the grill and spread each with the muhammara.
- Spoon some of the chopped tomato mixture on top.
- Garnish with a small basil leaf.