This is a sweet and spicy sauce that we enjoy on pasta with vegetables. We originally had it at Wagamama’s in Amsterdam (used to be number 51 on the menu) and have since tried to create a likeness. It is one of our favorites and we hope you will enjoy it also.
For the vegetables:
- 2 large carrots , peeled, cut into large pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, cooked (boiled), skinned and cut into large pieces
- 15 or so green beans, cut in half
- 1/2 zucchini, cut in large pieces
- other veg. of choice
- 150 grams tofu, in large pieces, fried on both sides
For the sauce:
- 2 onions , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs. oil
- 3 large sweet red bell peppers, roasted, skin and seeds removed and pureed
- 500 grams tomato puree or paste
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 1 heaping tsp. sweet paprika
- 3 good dashes of cayenne pepper
- 1-2 or more splashes hot chili sauce
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Ahead of time, I blanche my vegetables.
- Usually 1 or 2 large carrots cut into large chunks, a cooked sweet potato cut in large pieces and some green beans in half. You can add what ever vegetable you have and like.
- Fry the tofu pieces and set aside.
- Roast 3 rather large red bell peppers, when cooled, remove the skin and seeds, and puree. Or, if you are short on time, you can buy roasted peppers in a jar at the store and thus only need to puree.
- Saute the onions and garlic in the oil in a rather large frying pan until they are glassy and beginning to become golden brown.
- Add the pureed bell pepper. Allow this to simmer with the onions and garlic to mix the flavors.
- Add the tomato puree or paste, and mix well with the other ingredients.
- Season with a pinch of salt (not too much), 1 heaping teaspoon of sweet red paprika, a lot of cayenne pepper, and quite a good helping of the hot chili sauce, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. This sauce is a sweet and spicy dish, it’s up to you how spicy you like it.
- Add the raw zucchini and other raw vegetables and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add all the blanched vegetables and the tofu and any raw vegetables that you wish.
- Shortly before serving add a health dash of cinnamon and mix well.
- We serve this on regular pasta.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.