Vegetables in Thai coconut sauce
This makes a lovely colorful meal. The amount of spiciness is up to you. We usually like it hot.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 can (400 milliliters) coconut milk
- 100-150 grams tofu
- 1 tbs. oil
- 4 kaffir citrus leaves
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander leaves, chopped or 1 tbs. Thai coriander paste
- 1 large sweet red chili, sliced
- 1 large hot Thai chili, sliced
- 2 onions, cut in rings
- 2 tsp. lemon grass, minced
- 3 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- pinch sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 100 grams sugar snap pea pods
- 25 grams broccoli flowerettes
- 50 grams bamboo shoots
- 250 grams rice noodles
- Dry the tofu off using paper towels and slice the tofu in into bite size pieces. About 1 inch square.
- Using a large skillet, heat the oil and and fry the tofu so both sides are golden.
- Add the onions and saute until they are glassy.
- Add the coconut milk broccoli and peppers, reduce the heat and simmer.
- Add the rest of the seasonings.
- Shortly before serving, add the pea pods and bamboo shoots and heat but do not over cook.
- Make a paste from the corn starch and a bit of water (2 teaspoons) and add to the coconut milk.
- Season to taste with salt, a pinch of sugar and or some more lemon juice.
- Stir until the coconut milk becomes thicker.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of hot water to boil and just before serving put the rice noodles in. They don’t need long to be ready.
- Drain the noodles and place the coconut vegetables over the noodles.
- Garnish with coriander leaves or red pepper pieces.