Indian Pumpkin Dish with Rice and Lentil Puree
Serving Size: 4
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 sweet bell peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 750 grams pumpkin, cut in small pieces
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. saffron
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable bouillon
- 2 tbs. chopped coriander as garnish
For the lentil puree
- 1 cup green Le Puy lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- Cut the onion in fine pieces.
- Remove the seeds from the bell peppers and cut them into small pieces.
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkin, peel and cut into small bite sized pieces.
- Peel the ginger.
- In a frying pan with vegetable oil, heat the mustard seeds until they begin to pop.
- Add the onions and saute until glass, add the peppers and cook until they are soft.
- Add the minced garlic and grate the ginger into the mixture.
- Add the turmeric and saffron and sugar and mix well.
- Add the pumpkin and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and stir the mixture well.
- Cover and allow the pumpkin to cook until soft (about 6-10 minutes).
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
This dish is delicious served with lentil puree and rice.
For the lentil puree.
- In a small sauce pan, put the 1 cup of lentils, water, bouillon cube and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down.
- Simmer the lentils until soft (about 20 minutes).
- You may need to add a bit of water to make sure the lentils are cooked and don’t stick or burn on the bottom.
- Make sure to remove the bay leaf.
- When they are soft, puree them with a food processor or staff mixer.