This is a really tasty coleslaw. While blueberries are in season, this recipe offers a different and colorful twist to the traditional coleslaw. The cloves add a very nice spiciness to the sweet dressing.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 medium green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced and separated
- 2 Tbs. orange zest
- 1 pint blueberries
For the blueberry dressing:
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt, (or 1/4 cup soyanaise and 1/4 cup soy yogurt)
- 1/4 cup blueberry vinegar*
- 3 Tbs. orange juice
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1-2 Tbs. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. cloves, ground
- fresh ground black pepper
- orange slice (optional to garnish)
- Slice the cabbage very finely.
- Slice the onion thinly.
- Place cabbage, onion, orange zest, and blueberries in a large bowl.
- (Reserve a few blueberries as garnish).
- Gently toss to mix evenly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ingredients for the blueberry dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
- Optionally garnish with an orange slice and some fresh blueberries.
* You can make a “quick” blueberry vinegar by mashing a few fresh blueberries (3 or 4) in about 1/4 cup of distilled vinegar. Mash them and stir well then strain through a sieve. The vinegar will be a light pinkish/purple color with a mild blueberry flavor. You can also make a “quick” blueberry mustard in the same way. Mash a couple of blueberries in a tablespoon of mild mustard.
It’s very easy to make your own fruit vinegars. They add such a nice flavor to dressings and sauces. As each of the berries comes into season, I usually make a pint or 2 of berry vinegar. A tasty idea also to consider, is berry mustards.
adapted from http://www.recipezaar.com/237710