Onion Soup In the French Tradition
A Vegan rendition of the traditional French Onion Soup. It was mighty tasty indeed.
Serving Size: 4
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 8 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 8 cups vegetable bouillon (I used 2 vegetable bouillon cubers)
- 8 thin slices French bread
- 2 cups freshly grated soy cheese
- Melt the soy margarine in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes or until a golden, caramelized brown.
- Add red wine and deglaze, allowing the wine to be absorbed, about five minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and turn heat to high, bringing to a boil, then reduce.
- Allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, toast the bread and place in oven-proof bowls with 3/4 grated spy cheese distributed among bowls.
- Pour soup into bowls, top with remaining soy cheese, and place under broiler for 3-5 minutes, until soycheese browns and bubbles. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
We have a nice cheese available to us called Cheesley. It sort of melts, I also used a bit of my own vegan parmesan cheese as well.