Perikles’ Baked Spinach and Mushrooms
When we were in Cologne in April, we enjoyed this very special meal served to us by Perikles at the brewery pub Em Kölsche Boor. Although it was just spinach and mushrooms, it was a very generous serving and we were both really satisfied. We have recreated it here for your enjoyment as well.
Serving Size: 2
- 500 grams (110 lb.) fresh spinach
- 350 grams (0.77 lb.) button mushrooms
- 5 cloves garlic sliced very thin
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegan soy ricotta (ingredients below)
for the vegan soy ricotta:
- 1 cup soy yogurt, water drained through a cheesecloth
- 2 tablespoons raw cashew butter
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- To make the soy ricotta, drain the soy yogurt through a cheesecloth to remove the excess water.
- It is best to do this for 2-3 hours, however, if you are short on time you can gently squeeze the cheesecloth to remove the water.
- Place the condensed soy yogurt in a bowl, add the cashew butter and mix well (I use a fork).
- Add the vegetable bouillon and nutritional yeast.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Wash the spinach well and spin off most of the water.
- Place in a large pot and steam until just wilted.
- Clean the mushrooms but leave them whole.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Lightly saute the garlic and add the mushrooms.
- Season to taste with a pinch of salt and a light twist of fresh pepper.
- Remove the mushrooms from the heat once they have begun to soften.
- Drain the spinach and place 1/2 of the amount in an oven-proof baking dish for 1 person’s serving.
- Place the other half of the spinach in a second oven-proof dish.
- Heap the sauteed mushroom, garlic and oil on top of each portion.
- Dollop some of the vegan ricotta here and there and place in the oven to bake until the cheese is bubbly.
- Serve the meal with a fresh baguette to ‘sop up’ the garlic spinach/olive oil sauce.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.