Italian Bean Soup
This was an easy soup to make and very tasty on a rainy day.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 med. carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 can white beans, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 baguette
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place 3 tablespoons of oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the celery, onions and carrots and saute until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and lightly saute.
- Add the tomatoes vegetable bouillon and water heat and stir well to mix.
- Add the drained beans and warm the soup.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and optionally Italian herbs such as oregano and thyme.
- Meanwhile, slice the baguette and brush the remaining tablespoon of oil on the slices of bread.
- Toast on a grill, in a frying pan, in the oven or in a toaster.
- Serve the soup in a bowl with a slice of baguette.