Cauliflower & Couscous Pilaf with Tofu and Pine Nuts
This is a delicious way to enjoy cauliflower. We have adapted the original recipe, to include tofu and pine nuts, thus making it a main meal recipe.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 pkg. smoked tofu pieces
- 1-2 handfuls pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 med. head cauliflower chopped into small florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable bouillon
- 2 organic oranges, zest and juice
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 2/3 cup couscous
- 4 or 5 scallions, white green parts
- Place the currents or raisins in a small bowl, and cover them with boiling water. Allow to soak so that they swell and soften.
- Scrape the zest from the outside of 2 organic oranges, then squeeze the juice from the oranges.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the small cauliflower pieces and salt; cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add vegetable bouillon, most of the orange zest and all of the juice; bring to a boil over high heat.
- When the cauliflower has become soft, stir in couscous and tofu pieces.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and add most of the toasted pine nuts and the scallion slices. Reserve a few as garnish.
- Serve in a large bowl or as individual servings.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts, scallions and orange zest.