Beet Risotto with Horseradish and Dill Soy Yogurt
We enjoyed this mild but flavorful recipe for beet risotto last night. Both beets and risotto rice are very mild in flavor, so they are able to support the strong flavor of horseradish without it overpowering the flavors. The creamy dill soy yogurt brought both a creamy flavor and smooth texture to the meal.
Serving Size: 4
- 8 med. beets
- 1 lg. red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 1/2 cup dry wine (rd or white)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 generous tsp. horseradish
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- pinch cayenne
- salt ad pepper to taste
for the dill soy yogurt:
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- pinch salt
- splash lemon juice
- 4-5 sprigs fresh dill, minced
- Wash and peel the beets.
- Cook the beets according to your preference. (Washed, peeled and boiled or roasted then cooled and then peeled).
- Set aside about 1&1/2 cups of beets pieces to be added to the risotto later.
- Puree the rest of the beets to make about 1 cup of beet puree.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Saute the red onion until softened and translucent.
- Add the risotto rice and allow the rice to become glassy.
- Add the wine and allow to be absorbed.
- When the wine has been absorbed, add 1 cup of the vegetable stock and 1/2 of the beet puree.
- Still while cooking.
- Add the horseradish and nutritional yeast.
- As the liquid becomes absorbed, add more vegetable stock.
- When the rice becomes soft and creamy, add the last half of beet puree and allow to be absorbed.
- Meanwhile, make the dill soy yogurt.
- Season the risotto to taste, possibly adding a bit more horseradish salt and pepper.
- Add the beet pieces and stir into the risotto.
- Serve the risotto with a dollop of dill soy yogurt and garnish with a sprig of dill.
Inspired by http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/517378