Vegan Sugar Cookies
These Christmas trees and the hearts were fun and easy to make.
Yield: about 3 doz.
- 3/4 cup vegan margarine, room temperature
- 2 & 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg replacements
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine, room temperature
- pinch salt
- 1 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- lemon juice, or soy milk or water
To make the cookies:
- In a mixing bowl, cream the vegan margarine and sugar together to a light fluffy consistency.
- Following the directions on the package of egg replacement- liquefy the egg replacement powder. This is usually 1 teaspoon of egg replacement powder to 1 tablespoon of water. The equivalent of 2 egg is needed for this recipe.
- Add the egg replacements to the whipped sugar and margarine, add the vanilla and mix once more.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well to form a dough.
- Put the dough I plastic wrap and cool in the refrigerator for 1 & 1/2 – 2 hours.
When ready to make the cookies:
- preheat the oven to 350 F / 177 C.
- Line your cookie sheets with baking parchment.
- Lightly dust your work space with flour and roll the cookie dough out to a very thin dough. (about 1/4 inch).
- Cut your desired shapes out with cookie cutters and place on the cookie sheet to bake.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- When cookies are baked and light golden, remove and place on a rack to cool.
To make the frosting:
- Place the vegan margarine in a bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar and a small bit of liquid.
- Mix well using a fork.
- If you want to use color, make sure you use a natural food coloring. Mint (Mix a few fresh mint leaves in the blender with a bit of vegetable oil or alternatively with vodka or another non-flavored alcohol.) will make green, beet juice or berries will make pink. A slight bit of turmeric will make yellow.
When the cookies are cooled, frost and decorate. Store in an air-tight container.
Make sure you roll the dough very thin. The pink heart was made from the Vegan Sugar Cookie recipe, using a special cookie cutter that has a notch so that the cookie will sit on the rim of a cup. The pink icing was made using the juice from a smashed strawberry.