Corn Macaroni with Asparagus, Fava Beans and Arugula Pesto
What a tasty meal this was. The arugula pesto was especially nice in combination with the fava beans and asparagus.
- 3 cups macaroni (we used corn macaroni)
- 2 cups fava beans, peeled and blanched
- 6 nice green asparagus spears
for the pesto:
- 2 large handfuls arugula, cleaned and spun dry
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (or pine nuts)
- pinch salt
- splash lemon juice
- pinch Cajun seasonings (optional)
make the pesto first:
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Place in a bowl until later.
- Prepare the asparagus by cutting the tough woody end off, then slicing on the diagonal about 1 inch pieces.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- Cook the asparagus until al dente.
- Remove from the pot of water and place in a bowl.
- Put the peeled fava beans in the same boiling salted water and cook until al dente (when they begin to float – about 3 minutes or so).
- Remove from the water and place in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil and cook the macaroni.
- When the macaroni is cooked, drain off the water.
- Add most of the pesto and mix well.
- Gently add in the asparagus and fava beans.
- Serve the macaroni with dollops of pesto.
Any macaroni is fine. We were happy to find this unusual biological corn macaroni at a health food store.