Vegan Watercress Tea Sandwiches
A classic British favorite for high tea and picnics, made vegan.
- 1 cup Vegan Cream Cheese (e.g. Tofutti)
- small bunch chive, chopped
- water to thin the cream cheese
- small pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- large bunch watercress, washed
- 1/2 cucumber
- slices of wholewheat bread
- Mix the Tofutti with a bit of water, the chopped chives salt and pepper.
- Wash the watercress, pat dry and chop into lige pieces (about 2 inch in size)
- Thinly slice the cucumber.
- Spread each slice of bread with the Toufutti mixture.
- Layer the cucumber slices on top, then the watercress. Top with the second slice of bread.
- Cut the crust from around the sandwich and slice diagonally in half.
- Depending on how thick you spread the cheese, this can make 6-8 sandwiches.
If you don’t have or like cucumber, you could use a zucchini (as we did), and if you don’t have Tofutti, you can use home made sunflower spread.